Saturday, February 6, 2010

Whole Foods

I was always thought it would be nice to start using a place like Whole Foods as my regular grocer as oppose to someone like Kings Soopers or Safeway. I am a huge supporter of buying local and using only what is sustainable to my surrounding neighborhood but when you are living in the dead of winter, you’re local farmers market is most likely not in circulation. So during the off season, as far as produce is concerned, Whole Foods would seem like a lateral step. So last night my daughter and I walked over to Whole Foods since one is now in my backyard. I have been to a few in the past but this would be my first time actually shopping. First impressions…….awesome!!! However you can’t be fooled by what is thrown in your face as soon as you walk in. You have to practice some detective work and really get down to the nitty-gritty of what goes on inside the store. The first thing I noticed was the cost was much higher than at other grocery chains. I would say almost double. This is ok with me because I know that in this country, you have to pay a little more to get good products. Americans have slowly had to put less and less into their food budget because over time, products have become surprisingly cheaper. Why? Well the quality is much, much worse. From produce to meat, American manufacturers have found ways to cheapen the cost of food by limiting the amount of nutrients and filling in the blanks with cheap un-edible corn. So by going to a place that offers products of a higher caliber, spending the extra dollar is of no question. I will say once I took a look around I became more and more disappointed with what I saw. Don’t get me wrong the food,well at least the produce and the seafood, looked really nice but the whole local thing seemed to be more of a way to drag people into the door instead of actually coming through with the idea. So for now I think ill stick to my regular store and than wait for the Farmer's Market to reopen.

The workout is going great but I have been finding it alot harder to wake up in the mornings. The world is a quiet place at that time of the morning so music is essential for waking my brain up at that hour. Here is my current playlist....

Dweet Disposition- The Temper Trap
Dark & Long [Dark Train Mix] - Underworld
Elecktrobank- The Chemical Brothers
Start the Dance - The Prodigy
Triumph- Wu-tang
1901- Phoenix
Double Down Under- The Crystal Method
Family Business- The Fugees
Shelter From The Storm

7 comments:

  1. I know.... Whole food seems like a mirage at times.... beautiful from afar but not that enticing up close. I do like the varieties of Bio/Organic oils and vinegars, and spices and grains - that you can't always find at the local supermarket.
    Did you try to find an organic delivery place (like Lily) - lots of communities have them... although it's not the most exciting season - most of the stuff will be local (lots of roots and apples).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the sucky part of PCPing in winter. The good part? When the warm weather rolls around, you're already in awesome shape while most people are just starting to work off the winter weight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your playlist! Music is a HUGE motivation for my daily workouts, and I'm always curious what everyone else is listening to (for working out and just in general). Several on the list I wasn't familiar with, but Prodigy + Wu-Tang + Fugees? Love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cory, maybe there is a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) project in your area.
    I found this web site for the USA:

    http://www.localharvest.org/csa/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't afford Whole Foods - I like Corn... :) Keep it up by the way - I was impressed when you hung up with me today to "get to your workout"... how was the run?

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's a great mix! good luck getting those veggies!

    ReplyDelete