Monday, January 18, 2010

Day 4- All on my own




From a young child up through today I have always loved the sport of boxing and I champion myself a bit of a boxing historian. I played team sports all through my younger years but what lost my interest was having to count on someone else to succeed and even win. In Boxing you are alone. Sure you have a coach in your corner, as well as a large entourage and a overly hot blonde in a sparkling dress staring at her cell phone but for the most part its you and you alone. Thats what grabbed me immedietly to the sport. There is no one to count on but yourself. If you fail, it's on your shoulders. If you win, it is your victory and your victory alone. As a child I always wanted to be the first Irish champion in his generation. You had Jack Johnson in the early years of boxing, Jimmy "The Cinderella Man" Braddock in the 30's and 40's, Mickey Ward in the 80's and 90's and than Cory "The Hammer" Hardison in the 21st century. Obviously that never happened my my boxing career turned into a chef career but if I could take it all back and actually try it again, I would in a heartbeat.

When I first read about PCP I likened it to a fighters routine three months before a match. The workout is less intense but the diet is very similar and the excercises are very similiar. Regardless of my fellow PCP'ers support, I am alone in this and it is exactly the way I like it. If I fail it is my fault. I can't blame anyone else but myself. However if and when I finsih my 90 days, it is my victory. I put the hard work and sacrifice in and hopefully Ill have a new body and a new life as my just reward.



6 comments:

  1. We'll talk about how important it is to workout solo in the coming weeks. Once you develop the mental toughness to push yourself to the limit in an empty room, you'll be on the track towards permanent fitness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so true! that's one of the reasons I love boxing.
    Love your Ali quote! Keep it up, Cory. Remember, the will has to be stronger than the skill...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love boxing. And love the Ali quote. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete